Last week, a reporter from iReport at CNN wrote with a "Weekend Assignment" story request for a video of a signature dish. Eggplant Bruschetta is one of my classic dishes, and today Paul and I visited the same stall at the Maitland Farmer's Market where we picked up our first eggplant. You can check out the video of making Baked Eggplant Bruschetta and learn the recipe at ireport.com.
Note that the recipe calls for fresh basil, but the cold weather this year has destroyed my basil plant. I was content to use some dried basil I had dehydrated during "times of plenty". I hope our herb garden can recover quickly when the weather warms up.
Thank you to Rachel Rodriguez at iReport for giving me an opportunity to share my love of healthy, vegetarian eating.
Cost to Make Bruschetta
- $1.50 Eggplant (Farmer's Market)
- $0.15 Onion (Costco)
- $0.04 Garlic (Farmer's Market)
- $0.25 Olive Oil (Publix, sale and coupons)
- $1.80 Mozzarella (Costco)
- Free Tomatoes (Publix, coupons and sale)
- $2.50 Rosemary Olive Oil Bread (Costco)
- Free Basil (Our herb garden)
- $6.24 Total
This price makes two entrees or 4-6 appetizer plates.