This is the successful quinoa salad recipe I served to 25 people along with a baked potato bar last night.
I was amused when some people first thought it was couscous, but liked the quinoa better than they thought they would like the couscous. I was thrilled when one of the diners said she had bought some quinoa and had no idea what to do with it. (De ja vue of the eggplant.) She said she would definitely be making the salad. That's truly what Eat Like a Rabbit is all about--showing people how easy it is to make things that are healthy and that taste good.
Just for the record, I don't take credit for the idea. My friend, Kim, served it at her sister-in-law-to-be's baby shower a month back. I just took the recipe and made it easier. I hope you think so, too. I would also like to add that once again, I was complimented not necessarily for my own talents, but for the fact that I am "just like your mother" when it comes to being able to present a great meal (at a great price, I might add).
Cost to Make Quinoa Salad
- $1 Broccoli (Publix)
- $4.50 Grape Tomatoes (Costco)
- Free Banana Peppers (Mine and my mom's gardens)
- $1.50 Black Olives (Publix)
- $1.90 Quinoa (Costco)
- $1 Italian Dressing
- $9.90 Total fed 25
- $30.07 Including Potato Bar
Recipe for Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups Quinoa, uncooked
- 1 lb. grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 banana peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3/4 can black olives, sliced
- 1 cup Italian dressing (homemade or store-bought)
Cook quinoa according to package directions and chill. (Can be made a day or two in advance.) Combine quinoa and vegetables in large bowl folding gently with a large spatula. Pour salad dressing over quinoa. Stir gently. Serve immediately. To marinate, chill 1-2 hours after adding dressing.
Recipe for Italian Dressing
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion pwder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
Whisk ingredients together continuously while pouring over salad.