I got called by my old employer to work the lead nuclear tech's maternity leave. Naturally, this would happen during the last two weeks of class. Also during the week of my grandmother's 91st birthday. But fortunately after Nora's birthday! I'll do my best to enjoy the time at work (but away from my daughter) because change is good for variety, especially if you're in a rut.
But that sure threw me for a loop searching for healthy and really fast meals. Can I serve cereal to my in-laws for dinner next week? Every night? Then, I remembered a blog post by a friend of mine (Full Plate Diet's Dan Braun) and went shopping for beans. Lots of beans. Baked Beans. White Beans. Pinto Beans. Black Beans. Garbanzo Beans (whole and in hummus). We don't have to eat a lot of them, but at least I have the variety that I can build a meal around them or the thought of them. Oh, we also have green beans in the freezer for my grandmother's birthday dinner.
- Veggie-turkey sandwiches, celery sticks with PB, corn chips with hummus
- Bean and Rice bowls
- Thursday and Friday will be up to Paul's folks.
- White bean soup
- Tuesday- Geometry of Pasta's green beans in cream sauce for Mawmaw's birthday.
- Baked Beans and burgers from last week because we ended up having the sweet potato cakes twice.
- Again, Thursday and Friday are on Paul's folks' time.
The black beans will make enchiladas for Sunday. And the pinto beans will make taco salads on Saturday. Both are great for feeding large groups.