Marie Callender's Famous Cornbread (Modified)
Source: Constance Corbett (Modified)
- 1 ¼ cups flour [See gluten-free note below.]
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup sugar, (or less)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk, (soy or cow)
- ¼ cup shortening, (olive oil works great)
- 2 egg whites, (or equivalent egg replacer)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Add milk, oil, and egg (or egg replacer with water) and mix only until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Pour the batter into a greased 8x8 in. glass baking dish.
5. Bake for 25-30 min, or until the top is golden brown.
This recipe is very good even when made free from dairy or eggs. I usually mix the egg replacer and warm water in a separate bowl before adding it into the recipe. Blending it with a hand mixer seems to work well. Better Than Milk Soy Original is the best soy milk I've found for cooking. Other types of soy milk give the recipe an unusual flavor. If making gluten-free, use gluten-free flour and add 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum to the batter.